The process of using dermal fillers involves injecting filler into the skin, and you will need to know how to reduce bruising after your injection. Products that we offer at Love Your Body Medical Spa that involve dermal filler injections are Botox, Juvederm, Radiesse, Restylane and Voluma. It is possible that you will experience bruising, red spots, swelling or temporary bumps following injections. Here are some are some steps that you can take before and after treatment to reduce the likelihood of these side effects.
Checking the manufacturer’s website for the dermal filler you are interested in using will provide you with helpful information prior to treatment. In fact, manufacturers will give you the precautions you should discuss with your doctor or clinician as well as the potential side effects. For example, if you plan to have a chemical peel following a dermal filler, you may experience inflammation at the injection sites, so let your doctor know. Or if you are on immunosuppressive therapy, you may be at greater risk for infection. Read the manufacturer warnings so that you understand thoroughly any risks you may be taking and any steps necessary to take prior to treatment.
What to Avoid Before Treatment:
- Medications that can lead to excessive bleeding at the injection site such as ibuprofen or aspirin. If you are on blood thinners for a heart condition, notify your clinician but do not go off them without the advice of your cardiologist.
- Strenuous exercise (24 hours prior)
- Exposure to the sun or heat (24 hours prior)
- Alcohol consumption (24 hours prior)
- Taking certain supplements such as Omega oils, St. John’s Wart, Ginkgo and others which behave like blood thinners (one week prior)
- Avoid eating garlic two days prior to treatment
What to Do Before Treatment:
- Notify your clinician if you have frequent cold sores
- Clinical trials support the idea that bromelain in fresh pineapple may reduce bruising. Buy a whole fresh pineapple. Eat half of the pineapple the day before your treatment.
- Eat a quarter of the pineapple the morning of your treatment
- Use a cold pack before treatment
- Take an Arnica supplement or use an Arnica gel just before treatment (as long as you don’t have heart issues or high blood pressure)
- Ask your clinician if they offer any measures for reducing bruising such as numbing cream or arnica gel
- Ask you doctor which clinician has the best “touch” for injections in the clinic and make your appointment with that clinician
- Immediately after treatment, use a cold pack or compress to reduce swelling and use one for 5-10 minutes every hour for the first 8 hours
- Eat the final quarter of your pineapple
- For two days after treatment, continue to avoid NSAIDs (like ibuprofen and aspirin) and take Tylenol for pain instead
- For two days, continue to avoid any supplements that act like blood thinners and will inhibit your body’s ability to manage bruising
- Continue to avoid strenuous exercise, heat, sun, and alcohol consumption for up to 48 hours
- Follow your doctor’s advice about not putting pressure on the treatment area: no straws on treated lips, do not lie face down on a massage table, etc.
- Do NOT squeeze or massage the treated areas as it could affect your results
- Give your body time to adjust and plan for some down time
Now that you know how to reduce bruising after your injection, you can feel safe and secure about planning your dermal filler spa services with Love Your Body Medical Spa. Contact us at 702-649-5683 to schedule a consultation or appointment now.